Thursday, December 19, 2013

A Transgender Christmas Play

A conversation with one of my male students:

Me: Do you have any fun plans for Christmas?
Student: I will have a party with my church.
Me: Oh, that sounds like fun! What will you do at the party? Dancing? Just eating food?
Student: Oh, well, I will be in a drama. A play?
Me: Oh really? What part will you have in the play?
Student: .....::mumbles::......
Me: I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you. Can you please repeat that?
Student: Mary. I will be Mary in the drama.
Me: Mary? Oh, really?
Student: Yes. I am not happy to be Mary.
Me: (trying not to laugh) Oh, yeah? Why are you not happy?
Student: Well....my friends, they all pick me to be Mary. We are all a men's group. No women. Just men. They all decided I should be Mary.
Me: Oh, that's too bad.
Student: Yes. I'm so embarrassing.
Me: That's understandable. But, you know, it could be worse....
Student: How could it be worse?
Me: They could have picked you to play the donkey.
Student: Ahhhh...... yes. Teacher. You are so right. I am happy to be Mary and not the donkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment